woensdag 22 augustus 2007

Formal and precise modelling

In his blog Nick Malik asks the question whether we should put the ruler to the blueprint. In other words, should we create models so precise that we can hand them over to the builders and simply walk away?

This question becomes even more important now we are supposed to use Archimate to create our models in. Does a formal modelling language improve our architecture?

My answer to both these questions is NO. As an architect I set guidelines for a project, create a high level design – more like a sketch – and assist the project team in designing and realising the systems.

I simply create a model as a communication tool. For the management I create completely different views than for designers and developers. For the first, I would never use Archimate. Too much technical details. For the second, Archimate actually seems to be helpful. The first results have been OK.


In other words, I use models as precise and formal as needed for the task at hand, but I don’t think I will ever create an architectural model that is like a building plan for a house. They are more like zoning plans with some regulatory guidelines.

Perhaps the scope of architecture within ICT simply is different, such that comparison is futile.

Geen opmerkingen: